How Indoor Air Quality Affects Your Health
Mold, pollen and pet dander are ordinary pollution sources in your home. Other causes include household cleaners and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
VOCs can be expelled by things in your home, such as building materials, flooring or furniture. They can also be located in numerous air fresheners and scented candles. Increased VOCs can result in respiratory irritation, headaches and dizziness, among other problems.
Numerous scientific studies have found respiratory diseases, asthma and other health problems are connected to inferior indoor air quality. Allergies can also be triggered by indoor air quality troubles.
10 Signs Your Home has Poor Indoor Air Quality
If your family has conditions that intensify at home and get better when you leave, you may be affected by indoor pollution. You should also talk to your doctor if you’re concerned about your health.
- Ongoing cold or flu symptoms. A sore throat or runny nose that never goes away could be linked to air quality. This is especially true if you feel better when you leave your home.
- Watery, itchy or dry eyes. Your eyes are vulnerable to indoor pollution and may react by growing dry, itchy or watery.
- Tiredness or feeling dizzy. Inhaling in chemical pollutants can have an influence on your energy levels.
- Recurring asthma attacks. Dust, pet dander, smoke and other triggers can be diffused through the air or get stuck in carpet.
- Coughing and sneezing. Allergies or colds can create these symptoms, but they shouldn’t be worse at home.
- Heavy dust despite weekly cleaning. You may need to upgrade your air filter or add a filtration system from Service Experts Commercial HVAC.
- Humidity issues. Dryness can cause itchy eyes and worsen respiratory issues. Too much moisture can cause mold or mildew growth.
- Stale odors. Mold or mildew blossoms when the humidity in your home is too high.
- Hot or cold spots. This can be linked to air quality, especially if your HVAC system is having issues regulating temperature and humidity.
- Nausea. This can be recoil from the chemicals or pollutants in your home. It can also be a warning of high carbon monoxide levels. Check that you have a functional carbon monoxide detector in your home.