Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Toronto heat out and help your air conditioner survive during the final days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Service Experts Commercial HVAC to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by reaping the benefits of solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the very least, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Look at your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that may be torn or displaying signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might create heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and block some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is sustaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is running correctly and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than necessary. Give Service Experts Commercial HVAC in Toronto or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s running correctly.