Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your residence, being cozy in your new room no matter the weather is key. However, they can make a unique situation for heating and cooling. This is since installing ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, as it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Find out more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition could be a fantastic solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, as they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient as they move heat to make your room cozier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for additional rebates and decrease your utility bills for many years.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room often has an individual indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is extremely helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your residence, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become overwhelmed. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This could stress your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort may be impacted. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort may suffer if your system is forced to manage a wider space. Your heating and cooling could be less efficient, and your utility costs might increase as a result of the system needing to turn on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like regular systems, mini-splits are offered in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Service Experts Commercial HVAC, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new addition. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in sizable energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or greater when properly tuned up. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Commercial HVAC for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the ideal model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Commercial HVAC can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 289-201-2346 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.