How Do You Check for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of vapors that could be in your Toronto home. Natural gas and vapors that originate from residential furnishings, carpet and paints. Not a one of these gases are as threatening as carbon monoxide.

Call Service Experts Commercial HVAC at 289-201-2346 today to start protecting your loved ones against this harmful gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Bad?

Carbon monoxide may be a serious issue, so it’s not a thing to joke about.

1. You Can’t Smell It

Carbon monoxide is hazardous because you can’t see it, detect it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It’s not as dangerous in low doses and can’t be filtrated.

2. It Can Be Lethal After Only Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a side effect of burnt fuel. It can get into your residence during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. Depending on how considerable the leak is and the airflow in a home, it could become deadly in within minutes.

Once inhaled, it has a half-life of approximately five hours. If you are taking in clean air, you will need five hours to take it out of your body. You will need an extra five hours to reduce that amount by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Act Like Other Illnesses

Carbon monoxide can also mimic illnesses that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

How to Guard Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no reason to take a chance with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are several precautions you can do to keep your home safe:

  1. Each house with at least one natural gas furnace, attached garage or fireplace needs to have a carbon monoxide detector. You should have a detector on each level of your home, on top of the basement and garage. You also should have one installed inside or outside of each bedroom. Don’t have a carbon monoxide system in your residence?
    Call Service Experts Commercial HVAC at 289-201-2346 to purchase one. Ask our pros about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
  2. If you currently use a carbon monoxide system, frequently look at or swap out the batteries. You should check batteries every 90 days, and get a new system every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide system alerts you to danger, leave your house right away and phone 911.

Keep Your Family Safe with Assistance from Service Experts Commercial HVAC

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the proper steps your house can be guarded from the dangerous gas. Take the precautions and call Service Experts Commercial HVAC at 289-201-2346 to learn more.