Cooler months in Toronto are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners understand that their furnace may give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to keep it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to release carbon monoxide if the system is not running as it should be or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any possible problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other weird things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Service Experts Commercial HVAC can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 289-201-2346 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.