Spring is beautiful for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your energy bill is generally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not relying on your heating or cooling.
But as temperatures begin to climb, so do your energy charges. Here are a couple of suggestions for saving energy in Toronto and keeping costs low.
1. Book Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and trim costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility expenses less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has seen better days, spring is a good time to update it. The energy-saving features in newer air conditioning systems is an obvious plus in keeping your electricity bill down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Focusing on how to effectively work your thermostat is the best way to lower energy charges in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and indoor temperatures, the smaller your air conditioning bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty home.
3. Try Other Ways to Cool Your House
You can try several other approaches to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise in the summer, which forces cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it comes through windows. Keep your residence cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny rooms.
4. Think About Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and abruptly realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and change the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy charges down. If you decide it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 289-201-2346 or contact us online. We’ll help you select the best solution for your house. And as always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.