Spring is beautiful for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can open up windows for fresh air and your energy bill is usually at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not relying on your heat or cooling.
But as temperatures begin to climb, so do your energy costs. Here are a couple of tips for saving energy in Toronto and keeping bills less expensive.
1. Schedule Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system an annual tune-up can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy charges less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to upgrade it. The energy-saving technology in newer AC systems is an obvious plus in keeping your electricity charges down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling bills. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Figuring out how to effectively use your thermostat is the smartest way to reduce energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and inside temperatures, the cheaper your air conditioning bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty home.
3. Try Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can take advantage of several other methods to help keep your residence comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it comes through windows. Keep your house more comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Consider Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your habits and change the temp when you’re out and about to help you save energy and money. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These pro suggestions will all help keep summer energy bills down. If you decide it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 905-453-6700 or contact us online. We’ll help you select the right solution for your house. And as always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.